Classic Chinese Chow Mein Recipes
Are you Chinese food lovers? If you are one of them, you should try this classic Chinese Chow Mein recipe.
We would say that this noodle dish is one of those dishes that look elusive considering Chinese restaurants seem to know the secrets to make the best one.
However, you can always try to make the best version of this food for yourself by taking a trip to local Asian grocer or surfing on the online shops.
At some points, you may find the ingredients a bit confusing. For example, you will need soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
We will remind you that those sauces are two different things after all. Still, you will find both ingredients at the local Asian grocery store.
What to Add
We will encourage you to customize the dish by adding some things considering the recipe is the basic one to make the meal. However, this list would help you to define what to add to customize the whole food.
The first thing you should add to the recipe is protein. It could be chicken, beef, shrimp, tofu, or anything you like. Other than that, you can spiralize some carrots and zucchini. Carrots are the best pair for celery and the zucchini can be added when you cook the pasta.
Adding a tablespoon of lemon juice would give a fresh hint to another dimension and some chopped cilantro or peanuts in it as well.
If you want to get a crispier texture on the noodle, you should heat a couple of tablespoons of oil on high heat and stir the noodle until it gets crispier on both sides. For a different taste, you can add chili garlic paste, sriracha, and crushed red pepper in the seasoning ingredients.
To make a top-notch arrangement for dinner with this dish, you can also serve the noodle with some other awesome Chinese meals like orange peel chicken, spicy cashew chicken, garlic Hunan beef, and so on.
Secrets of Chinese Foods
We all agree that Chinese foods are delicious and tasteful. This is also something you will find if you try other foods from Asian countries. The big secret might be on the garlic they use. Chinese foods always incorporate more garlic than other meals in western countries.
Some spices that they always use to make a flavorful yet delicious meal include cardamom, ginger, fennel seed, Sichuan peppercorn, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise. Those elements resemble the spicy, sweet, sour, bitter, and salty taste that should be fulfilled in all Chinese dish.
To make a perfect classic Chinese Chow Mein, you need to prepare several ingredients. The ingredients we write below will cover four servings and it takes 20 minutes to prepare and cook it. It is the main dish and will fill you up during dinner. The ingredients are authentic yet easy to find.
- Two tablespoons of canola oil;
- ¼ head of cabbage, slice them thinly;
- Two cloves of garlic, crushed and minced;
- Two tablespoons of sweet soy sauce or Kecap Manis (we have a note to make a homemade Kecap Manis);
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce;
- Four tablespoons of oyster sauce;
- A cup of water;
- 12 ounces of Chow Mein noodles, cooked a minute shy;
- Six ounces of bean sprouts;
- And sesame seeds for garnish.
How to Make Classic Chow Mein
- Prepare a big pan and heat it on high heat. After the heat is good, you can add two tablespoons of canola oil on it and cook the cabbage for two minutes or so. Once it looks wilted, add minced garlic and cook it for another 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and mix it with water. Cook it for one minute or until it is boiled.
- Put the noodles and bean sprouts then stir and toss them together until it coats well. Serve the meal immediately after you pour sesame seeds on it.
- As we have mentioned earlier, you can make a homemade Kecap Manis considering it might not that easy to find sweet soy sauce in the grocery store.
- So, you will need one and a half teaspoons of soy sauce and one and a half teaspoons of dark brown sugar or molasses. The ratio must be 1:1 to make a well-tasted Kecap Manis.
- Add a tiny pinch of ground anise for taste. This is a pretty good substitute but you will get a much deeper taste if you can get Kecap Manis.
- Also, you can alter Chow Mein noodles with yakisoba noodles. If you do so, you do not need to use other things inside the package but the noodle.
Please Read Others : 15 Minues Siasame Ginger Noodles
Per serving of this meal contains 431 calories, 73 grams of carbs, 14 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, and 5 grams of fibers. It also contains potassium, iron, calcium, vitamins, sodium, and sugar too.