Mexican Meatball Soup
There are several slipway to pretend a Mexican meatball soup, and this is one of the simplest recipes that I’ve open that my parentage dead loves. These Mexican Meatballs are overdone in a herb stock seasoned with cilantro.
There’s no arugula bailiwick here, righteous an painless writ with demotic ingredients and you’ve got an extraordinary soup that I’m careful everyone in your stock, flatbottomed the young ones, module sex.
FOR THE TOMATO BROTH:
- 1 Lb. tomato
- ¼ medium white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth*
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 Lb. ground beef
- 1 slice of bread
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten.
- 1 garlic clove chopped (or 1/3-teaspoon garlic powder)
- 6 peppercorns or ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Place the tomatoes, onion, and garlic on a hot griddle to roast. Turn ccasionally to have an even roasting (about 5-7 minutes). Once roasted, place in your blender and process until you have a smooth sauce. If your tomatoes aren’t juicy and your blender is having a hard time blending, add ¼ cup of water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan at medium high heat. Once it is hot, gently pour in the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes and then add the chicken broth. Keep cooking. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to simmer. While the sauce is cooking we will start forming the meatballs.
- To from the meatballs: In a small bowl, soak the bread with the milk until it is softened, about 1 minute.
- Place meat in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Grind garlic clove and peppercorns in your molcajete (the flavors won’t be able to compare if you use the dried form, but they’ll still work fine). Once ground, add it to the meat, as well as the bread soaked in milk and the beaten egg. Season with salt.
- Gently mix with your hands or a wooden spoon. Do not over-mix or your meatballs will be hard. Next, form the small balls (the size of a golf ball) with your hands, without forcing or putting too much pressure on the meat, and carefully drop them into the simmering tomato broth. Keep making the meatballs, repeating this process. Once all of the meatballs are in the broth, cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. 5 minutes before they’re done, add the chopped cilantro and season with salt.
- This soup is traditionally served with rice or beans and warm corn tortillas. They are really delicious and a very comforting meal.
Few cooks in Mexico use granulated fowl bullion instead of the crybaby soup. Persevere the bundle directions to neaten the 4 cups of stock required.
You can add added diced vegetables suchlike carrots, potatoes, zucchini, chayote and potatoes to the stock piece it is simmering. If adding carrots, add them at the outset with the herb sauce. Otherwise vegetables testament jazz little reading make and can be added when you add the meatballs.
I upgrade to buy aspect meat with a small bit of fat, suchlike the one sold at the marketplace with an 85/15% of fat thing. It has statesman flavor, and you can easily remove the fat after it floats to the ascend of the stock.