Oven Fried Onion Rings – Low Carb
Oven Fried Onion Rings – It is an inclemency, unenlightenment and dull Weekday farewell here with unpredictable sprinkles forthcoming strike, tho’ it looks same the sky could turn up at any second. It’s a enthusiastic day to playact around in the kitchen. This afternoon I definite to experiment a bit. I craved to see if an “almond flour coated” onion knell would convert. !
- 1 medium to large sweet onion, sliced into 1/4″ rings
- 1 or 2 eggs (I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
- 3-4 Tablespoons half-n-half
- 1/2 cup (slightly heaped) almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or enough to give color to the almond flour coating)
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil (I used Reynold’s non-stick foil) and brush lightly with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil (no need to use your good Extra Virgin olive oil; I used my light “non-virgin” olive oil for this). In a small bowl, beat egg and half and half together; season with salt and pepper to taste; add onion rings to the egg mixture, toss and let sit to soak while you make the coating/breading.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, mix almond flour, salt and pepper to taste, onion powder, paprika and mix well with a whisk to remove any lumps.
- Take onion rings out, one or two at a time and place in the flour mixture, pressing and turning over with a fork until well coated on both sides. Place on lightly oiled foil covered baking sheet in a single layer, not touching each other. Place in oven and bake 7-8 minutes; flip and continue baking another 7-8 minutes or until golden brown and done. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt, if desired.